RSS Feed

Invictus


I must admit that I wasn't sure I was going to like this film. Morgan Freeman can appear a little bit smug in my eyes and after I read that he has held a life long desire to play Nelson Mandela and "everyone" believes that he is the only Hollywood actor capable of playing the great man, I felt a little bit irked.
Having said all that, I thought Freeman was excellent! It was very clever to use the 1995 Rugby World Cup as the focus of Mandela's quest to unite the people of South Africa and to put the past behind them. Matt Damon seemed a little short to play Francois Pienaar but otherwise puts in a reasonable performance (not sure how his South African accent stood up?)
There was an elderly South African couple sitting next to us in the cinema and I swear to God, the husband didn't realise the Spring Boks defeated the All Blacks.
Rating: 7/10

0 comments: