RSS Feed

The Lovely Bones

Every so often we hire 3 films on DVD from our local Blockbuster store and watch them over the course of a weekend. Last time one of the films we watched was The Lovely Bones which is the latest from Peter Jackson (The Lord of The Rings, King Kong etc.) and to be honest I was not particularly impressed. The film is set in the early 70's and concerns the brutal murder of a young girl called Susie Salmon by a creepy loner who lives across the road. Susie however is left in a kind of limbo and can see what happens after she has been murdered. The film is rather sentimental and the sequences that grate on me are the scenes in limbo with strangely coloured skies and fantastical landscapes etc. It just feels a bit naff to me. The actress who plays Susie Salmon is okay but when she is narrating it is one of those breathless type voices that annoy me. The killer looks a bit weird too. Looks like a youngish guy dressed up to play someone a lot older plus the film also features the supremely untalented Mark Wahlberg (why does he still get parts?)

I suppose the film is worth a viewing but in my honest opinion I was disappointed.

Rating: 5/10

0 comments: