RSS Feed

Star Trek

You know what?... I actually think Star Trek was disappointing after all the hype. It felt like they had tried to splice old Trek with a little bit of Star Wars and a large dollop of Battlestar Galactica (the recent series that is). Shaky cam, silent bits in space, whoosh into hyperspace (warp). I've seen this before and it was BSG. Chris Pine played Kirk a bit too over the top on the hellraising, take a chance, Jack-the-lad character. Zachary Quinto did a good impersonation of Leonard Nimoy (although when Nimoy appeared he outgunned everyone else). Simon Pegg was the comedy relief and to be honest I thought he was crap. Chekov - likewise with an over-the-top Russian accent was irritating. Karl Urban as McCoy was excellent and for me (apart from Nimoy) was the best one in it. But no one really got enough time for their characters to develop. The story was a trifle limp. I hated the Romulan ship and what was all the platforms in it which you had to jump about on with no hand rails. In fact the Romulans reminded me of the convicts in Alien 3... all shaven heads and tattoos and acting badass. I liked the effects and the Enterprise looked great from the outside... but what was all the 20th century pipework about? Looked like they had filmed it inside a factory somewhere.

I initially texted MCE a rating of 8/10. But on reflection I want to reduce my rating to 7/10.
So there you go...

Rating: 7/10

0 comments: