RSS Feed

"Owl curry, adder with butter and stir-fried craneflies! Meet the man who has survived on a diet of ROADKILL for 30 years"

"Rat stir fries and owl curries hardly sound like the stuff you would serve your friends for dinner. But surprisingly, Jonathan McGowan's exotic roadkill dishes are a big hit with his guests. The 44-year-old bachelor has lived on a diet of roadkill for the past 30 years to avoid buying meat from the supermarket. He has shunned pre-packaged meats and instead dined on mice, moles, hedgehogs, pigeons, crows and gulls.


The taxidermist from Bournemouth, Dorset, never kills the animals himself but eats only what he finds at the roadside or in woodland. Mr McGowan first got a taste for roadkill at the age of 14 when he cooked a dead adder that he had found.


He said: 'The adder didn't actually taste very nice - a bit like bacon rind. But it had piqued my curiosity and I wondered what else I could eat and what it would taste like.'


After leaving sixth form college he lived alone and turned to roadkill to save some money on his weekly food bills.


He said: 'From a young age I was always interested in natural history and being brought up amongst the farming, hunting and shooting communities of the Dorset countryside meant I was right in the middle of everything.


'Everywhere I looked there were dead animals; fish that had been caught, pheasants that had been shot and animals that had been run over in the road so naturally I became drawn to nature and how it worked.


'I used to cut up dead animals to see their insides and when I did all I could see was fresh, organic meat, better than the kind I had seen in the supermarkets. So I never saw a problem with cooking and eating it.' " -- Daily Mail website

Anybody who is in to taxidermy is a sick f*ck if you ask me... come on... you have to be complete weirdo to cut up and stuff dead animals! But eating roadkill...! This bloke is one sick mother f*cker!!

Rant over.

0 comments: