RSS Feed

Centurion

Neil Marshall, who I believe directed Dog Soldiers, The Descent and Doomsday seems to be fascinated with the same common theme. That is each film features a group of people who are on the run in a dangerous environment and as each film progresses each character gets picked off and meets a horrible death until there is just the remaining central hero (or heroine) left.

Centurion is exactly the same. A group of Roman soldiers are caught behind enemy lines (an army of vicious Pict barbarians in this case) and the survivors have to fight their way back to freedom. I must admit I did doze half way through the film (well it was late on a Friday evening) but I don't think I missed anything of note. In fact because of knowing Marshall follows the same pattern I found myself simply waiting for the inevitable grisly death of each character.

Having said that the action is impressive and it looks bloody cold where ever they shot the film. There are some particularly nasty decapitations or severing of limbs throughout but ultimately the film is unsatisfying. It is mildly entertaining but it is really a case of "Could do better".

Rating: 6/10

0 comments: