RSS Feed

The Groom's Speech

Ladies and Gentlemen - N and I want to thank you, Mom, for those kind words and good wishes. Needless to say, we are both delighted to be here today! I'd like to thank you and G; L and C for being such welcoming hosts to T, my Mum and myself during our stay in Cape Town. I would also like to thank Mr. H for his permission for his eldest daughter's hand in marriage and to my own Mum for making such a long journey to South Africa. Thank you to you both.

I'm sure you'll all agree that I'm the luckiest man in the world. I have a beautiful, intelligent and hardworking wife. Actually she has a long list of qualities - but I can't decipher her handwriting...! And I have such marvellous new friends and relations here to share the day with us. My wife and I want to thank you all for coming to our wedding, and for your very generous presents. Thank you!

I would like to tell you a little story that happened on my birthday last year. N and I had been seeing each other for three months and for an evening out we went to see the Billy Joel Musical in London. Anyway N had give me some chewing gum which I duly proceeded to chew. After a while I wanted to dispose of the gum and it was with absolute stupidity that I took it out with my fingers with the intention of hiding it under my seat. Unfortunately it remained stuck to my fingers... the next hour was spent frantically trying to remove the gum but the trouble was - the more I tried the worse it got until all my fingers ended up welded together. All this time I was trying to conceal it from N. Anyway in the end I gave up and confessed all. Needless to say N thought it was hysterical!

I see out of the corner of my eye, that Tony, my best man, is getting impatient, waiting to make his speech. So far he's been a perfect best man, I'm sure you'll agree. I say "so far" because we haven't heard his speech yet!

I would also like to thank M for her wonderful support to N as her bridesmaid, especially as they both had to get up very early for the hairdresser.

I would like to give special thanks to one of the youngest guests today - little c, who had the most important job as ringbearer.

Finally, I want to say that there is one gift that has come to me personally and to me alone. This is a gift you cannot buy. A gift without price, yet a real treasure; I speak of the young lady sitting next to me! So it is with real appreciation that I say to M and J - "Thank you, both of you for N's hand in marriage."




0 comments: