RSS Feed

Cape Town (Part 2)

Trivia time... Woolworths in South Africa equals Marks & Spencer and not Woolworths in the UK. Also there aren't any self service petrol stations!

Wednesday, N took me to see the venue for our wedding at Suikerbossie (The Sugar Bush). A very impressive establishment situated on a hill with a spectacular view of the ocean. We then drove down to Hout Bay where we had lunch at a busy fish restaurant. Fish actually tastes like fish in Cape Town and not the sort of thing you get here... well apart from St. Ives in Cornwall!

At this point I must admit that my stomach was still grumbling from the effects of overstuffing myself from the previous evening and it was now that I was about to experience one of those very embarrassing moments... we had an appointment to see the photographer and when we drew up in front of his house I had the most desperate urge to use the bathroom. Within moments of him answering the door I just had to ask if I could avail myself of his facilities to which he duly obliged. I quickly headed to the small room, bypassing the bedroom where the photographer's wife was dozing! Fortunately before dropping my trousers I remembered to double check that there was toilet paper and to my horror there wasn't any!!!! So I had to go back and ask the photographer, who by this point was chatting to N, and ask him if he had some paper. I have never been so apologetic in my life!

On the Thursday I had my hair cut at Maybert's a very camp looking guy... this was in preparation for N's mum's wedding later on in the day. Actually on thinking about it that was the first time I have had my hair cut anywhere apart from Terry's at The Quadrant for the last 30 plus years!!... and he only charged £3.40 as opposed to £10.00 at Terry's and I even had it washed. What a bargain! Anyway N and I had to go and pick up the wedding cake from a guy called Darrel, a hideosly obese guy who weighed approximately 100 stone (mind you I didn't get to see him as I was in the car). Then with the aircon on at full blast to prevent the cake from melting we had to quickly drive to the venue which was near to the Waterfront. What happened next? You will have to wait and see...

To be continued.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha! Love the toilet story-can't believe you went down and actually asked for bog roll...but i suppose it's difficult to know what to do other than use his hand towel- then promptly deny all accusations....