RSS Feed

Review of Day of The Doctor



I must admit I was getting really excited during the lead up to watching this... so much so it was annoying the hell out of N. Ever since the end of the last episode where John Hurt was revealed to be a previously unknown and forgotten “War” Doctor I was mightily intrigued to see what was going to happen.

Well last Saturday we finally got to see if the reality lived up to the hype and if I am brutally honest I felt a little bit underwhelmed.

What was good was the dynamic between the three Doctors... although I have to admit I do prefer David Tennant's incarnation as compared to Matt Smith's. John Hurt was great chastising his successors and he brought a dishevelled weariness to the role. The brief scenes of the Daleks attacking Gallifrey were very Terminatoresque and were of exceptional quality, unfortunately there wasn't enough of them.

However the actress portraying Queen Elizabeth I was rubbish and there was no chemistry between her and David Tennant. Jenna Coleman as Clara was her usual know all character which I find irritating. There was a neat way of shoehorning Billie Piper into the plot by making her the interface with the bomb.

But what was great was getting to see Tom Baker again after so many years, his distinctive voice being heard before his actual appearance. Fabulous. And lastly getting a glimpse of Peter Capaldi.

Great stuff but maybe could have been better.

Rating: 8/10

0 comments: