RSS Feed

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey



I'm not sure that they actually needed to make this new trilogy of films. Don't get me wrong I love Tolkien's novels but after the astounding brilliance of The Lord of The Rings was it really necessary to do it all again? My biggest issue is stretching a 300 page book very thinly into three films and adding new bits to the story (Radagast for example who wasn't even in The Hobbit). The acting doesn't seem to be as good either... or it actually maybe the script... the Rivendell scene was lacklustre and stilted with Christopher Lee being totally inanimate (okay I realise he is getting very old). The dwarves all blurred into one and were difficult to differentiate with the exception of Richard Armitage as Thorin.

It lacked a performance as good as Viggo Mortensen's in the original and the whole thing felt like inferior déjà vu (if there is such a term!)

Disappointing.

Rating: 7/10

0 comments: